One of the most distinctive ways that people connect today is through self-expression, whether it be in what they drive, how they dress, or what makeup they wear. Our freedom of choice has been revolutionized by the abundant amount of resources available. Today, there is one company, Lime Crime, who is providing an avenue for women and men to further explore their self-expression through innovative hair and makeup products.
Lime Crime, established in 2008 by Doe Deere in Los Angeles, is a hair and makeup brand dedicated to allowing individuals to unleash their true personality. Their mission: “to create products and experiences that transport [individuals] to a magical world where [they] can express [themselves] unapologetically, experiment with every color of the rainbow and escape from looking like everyone else.” What are they known for? Colorful and innovative products that are certified vegan and cruelty-free, as they are never tested on animals.
The company identifies that they are the “Makeup for Unicorns” – what does this mean? Lime Crime shares that they are “Beauty with a touch of rebellion, pretty with a touch of grunge – that’s our trademark twist. Lime Crime keeps the experience authentic and true so YOU can be YOU! It’s a world unlike any other, filtered through the colorful lens of pop culture, music, and instant viral style. We infuse these influences into our package, visuals, product names and everything else about the brand!” They are one of a kind and they appreciate and support their users to be one of a kind.
Not only are they considerate of the animals, but they are also avid supporters of local charities around the United States. Their products include a wide range of beauty supplies, and can often be seen worn by various celebrities or sponsored in beauty magazines. Let’s take a closer look at Lime Crime and how they are influencing the world around you.
First and Foremost, Supporting Vegan and Cruelty Free Makeup –
Not everyone is aware, but many cosmetic companies use animal testing as a way to ensure the safety of the product. In the United States alone over 100 million animals die from animal testing in laboratories. These include mice, rats, dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, monkeys, fish, birds, and more. Additionally, millions of other animals are impacted by this product testing, suffering skin irritation, eye irritation, and toxicity. This cruelty is unnecessary.
If you are utilizing hair and makeup products, would you want to use a product that could potentially harm a living creature? Do you want to consider supporting companies that use such harsh chemicals? Thankfully, companies such as Lime Crime are dedicated to making 100% cruelty free products. Furthermore, Lime Crime products are 100% vegan, which means that their makeup does not include any animal ingredients or byproducts such as beeswax, lanolin, whey, or carmine. Lime Crime’s commitment to animals’ safety and wellbeing can be recognized through their sponsors: they have both the Leaping Bunny Certification and PETA certification. This is a revolutionary commitment by a cosmetic company – and Lime Crime has been committed since the beginning.
Lime Crime Products
The large collection of products distributed by Lime Crime provides all individuals an opportunity to find the product that suits them best. No matter their mood, there is something for everyone. They have products for lips, eyes, hair, as well as highlights and brushes. A recent post by HQHair, which stated that “We. Are. Obsessed,” with Lime Crime, outlined the ten best Lime Crime products for 2019:
- Lime Crime Venus XL Eyeshadow Palette: “Featuring eighteen different warm-toned shades, both matte and shimmer, these silky soft and totally blendable eyeshadows are perf’ for creating looks for both day and night.”
- Lime Crime Plushies Lipstick – Sorbet: More pigment than lip balm, but not quite a full coverage lipstick. “By letting your natural lip color show through the translucent formula, each application is slightly different.”
- Lime Crime Velvetine Matte Lipstick: The lipstick leaves a velvety finish and a color can be found to match every skin tone and every occasion. For everyday wear, try Sasha, a pink-toned nude colored lipstick.
- Lime Crime Diamond Dew Highlights: Lightweight liquid glitter, great either alone or layered on your eyelids.
- Lime Crime Metallic Velvetine Lipstick: Both richly pigmented and long-wearing, the lipstick is a great way to “add a lil edge without the need for contact touchups.”
- Lime Crime Venus XS Eye Shadow Palette – Rose Gold: This palette includes a mix of matte and glitter pigments, and is “the perf palette for making a statement.”
- Lime Crime Wet Cherry Lip Gloss – Baby Cherry: This lip gloss will “add a sheen to the lips and a gloss, without the stickiness.” The color recommended, Baby Cherry, is the ideal tone for your daytime lifestyle.
- Lime Crime Aquarium Brush Set: This set features clear makeup brushes “complete with glitter and punch to make sure you’ve got the best makeup brush stash in town.”
- Lime Crime Diamond Crushers Lip Topper – Lit: “A sheer layer of glitter-filled lip gloss that you apply to help seal in the color of your lips.” A great product to add an extra punch to your look.
- Lime Crime Plushies Sheer Pressed Pigment Quads Eyeshadow – Sweet Blends: An affordable palette which allows everyone to try the four matte shades that can help with your daily look.
There wide range of products are available either on their website, limecrime.com, or in your local retail stores including Urban Outfitters, ULTA, Bloomingdales, and Nordstrom Rack, to name a few.
Celebrities Wearing Lime Crime
Since the companies launch in 2008, Hollywood has taken a liking to their products. The bold colors and exotic features provide celebs the chance to express themselves in the public eye. Kylie Jenner, an American reality television personality, model, entrepreneur, socialite, and social media personality, was recently photographed with pink hair, compliments of Lime Crime product, Unicorn Hair Tint in Kawaii and Bunny. Stylist, Chris Appleton, raved about his job well done on Instagram, stating “Think pink. LOVE this pink on @kyliejenner,” and “‘Come on Barbie let’s go party’ Who loves @kyliejnner pink?”. The best part – the product is affordable to the everyday user – only $16. The hair tint is vegan and semi-permanent, lasting four to six weeks.
Kylie Jenner also uses Lime Crime hair products to get to her golden blonde color. Appleton has reported “I love to use Lime Crime’s Unicorn hair to tone Kylie’s hair.” He identifies “The formula has no chemicals, so it made her hair look beautiful and feel like silk. Not to mention, gold blonde is making a comeback. It’s great fun and such a pretty color.” To style to the golden blonde, Appleton mixes together Lime Crime’s Unicorn Hair Tint in Tweet and Unicorn Hair Mixer in Dilute – both which can be found for $16 each.
Another celebrity sporting the new pink hair was Bella Hadid at the Homme Show in Tokyo in late November. Bella Hadid is an American model signed with IMG Models, and in 2016, Bella was voted “Model of the Year” for Models.com. Bella was photographed at the show with her hair slicked back tight with a center part, a striking pink section of hair could be seen through the top of her bun. The bright accent complimented the rest of her look. And thanks to the vegan product line, Bella is helping maintain her hair’s health while rocking a daring look. Lime Crime’s Bunny Hair Tint, offered for $16, can help anyone match her exciting appearance.
Another chance to spot the trending product is on Riverdale, an American Drama series aired on the CM Television Network. Main character, Cheryl Blossom, can always be seen wearing red, which includes her dependable use of red lipstick – actually, Lime Crime’s Matte Velvetine “Red Velvet.” Her dominating and strong personality is matched perfectly with this collection.
In the News
Lime Crime has consistently been recognized in public news forums for their trending and inspiring products. The reviews are raving, and the consumers are ecstatic. Lime Crime has been featured in the following:
“22 New Beauty Products You Need To Try ASAP” – Buzzfeed, “Lime Crime Venus XL Palette is the latest addition to Lime Crime’s crazy popular Venus lineup – because who doesn’t want to channel some Venus goddess power? – and offers up 18 no-fallout shades from fiery rustic reds to dreamy golden roses.”
“The 2018 Indie Beauty Awards: Makeup Winners” – PureWow, “You get all the shine, 19 sheer color options and none of the stickiness. Oh, and it smells like fresh-picked cherries. So there’s that.”
“I Never Leave Home With Bare Lips And This Under $20 Lip Gloss Is My New Obsession” – She Finds, “The best part for me, though? The insane color selection! Pink, red, orange, purple – Lime Crime has them all!”
“7 Cool-Girl Beauty Brands to Check Out If You Love Glossier” – BYRDIE, “The brand’s not lying when it says makeup is for unicorns, although no unicorns were harmed in the making of this cruelty-free, colorful line.”
“This Is Hands Down The “Best” Matte Lipstick On The Market Right Now ” – She Finds, “First of all, holy amazing pigment! The colors go on super rich and deep and they stay that way for hours on end…without drying out your lips, no less!”
“The Boldest Makeup Products for Anti-Minimalists” – Stylecaster, “This quad of fruit-inspired colors can be worn on the cheeks or eyes to brighten up an otherwise dull complexion.”
“Holiday Beauty Gifts for Your Glitter-Obsessed Friend” – L’OFFICIEL, “Despite the reputation glitter is often given as being “extra” or “too-much,” it can aid wonderfully in self-expression.”
“Best Gifts of 2018 that Teenage Girls Will Adore – All Under $50” – PopSugar, “She can achieve a glittery pout with Lime Crime Diamond Crusher Holiday Lip Set ($25).”
“11 Gifts For The Beauty Junkie In Your Life” – Makeup.com, “This lip topper set from Lime Crime is the iridescent icing on the beauty junkie’s cake. Your BFF can add some over top her favorite matte lippie to add a little sparkle to her smile.”
Each product was carefully designed by the team at Lime Crime, with the intention of providing girls and women around the world an opportunity for full self-expression. From the reviews, it appears they are getting it right.
Beyond the Product, Lime Crime Gives Back to the Community
Lime Crime has consistently focused on releasing products that reduce harm to people and animals. Individuals from all corners of life are intrigued not only by the companies array of products, but also by their mission to help the community around them. Over the past few years, Lime Crime has donated thousands of dollars to local charities. The philosophy to help the world around them is making them an industry leader in the cosmetic world.
Just recently, in November 2018, California experienced the worst, and most tragic, wildfires in history. As of November 17, 2018, the state has experiences 7,579 fires and lost 1.6 million acres of land. Tragically, as a result, seventy-two lives have been lost. The impact of the wildfires is drastic – individuals have lost their homes and communities. Over one billion dollars has been directed by government officials to help with damage. But, this is not enough. The businesses in the community are coming together to help those who were displaced, and Lime Crime is one company committed to helping. They donated ten percent of their sales revenues from November 10th to November 12th to the American Red Cross, taking initiative in helping the wildfire victims.
Other organizations that Lime Crime has financially supported include Girls Inc, Heart of Los Angeles, Sanctuary for Families, Bidawee, Adopt NY. Who Lime Crime supports displays the company that they are.
- Girls Inc. is an organization that strives to inspire and support young women to go after their goals and dreams. By supporting Girls Inc., Lime Crime is supporting their belief in equal treatment and opportunity for women from all walks of life.
- Heart of Los Angeles is a nonprofit organization that assists underprivileged children. They sponsor after school programs and they promote children getting good grades. Lime Crimes continues to support the organization as the company strongly supports the organization’s values.
- Sanctuary for Families is an organization that offers shelter, education, and other resources to abuse victims in California. Often, abuse victims are trapped, with nowhere to go. Changing their lives is not simple. Lime Crime believes that everyone should have a voice, and therefore supports the organization strongly.
- Bidawee is the oldest no-kill animal shelter in the nation. As Lime Crime is an animal friendly company, they strongly believe that no animal should be euthanized because they are not adopted within a specific time frame. Every animal has the right to live, and Lime Crime is proud to support Bidawee, who uses its donations to house these homeless animals.
- Adopt NY was a charity that assisted the animals displaced following Hurricane Sandy. Hurricane Sandy devastated the East Coast in 2012, and resulted in a large number of animals being displaced. Adopt NY was dedicated to helping those animals find a new forever home. Again, Lime Crimes longstanding commitment to the wellbeing of animals was seen through their donations to Adopt NY.
Using Your Dollar to Make Change
Lime Crime has one major goal: to get people and animals to coexist in harmony and to promote peace. How you can help? By using your dollar. Consumers often overlook that it is their financial purchases that drive the economy and the social structure of the world around us. By purchasing cruelty free and vegan products, we are promoting the peace between animals and humans. Lime Crime asks for its clients to support their goal by purchasing their products. The less support for companies that still utilize animal testing, the bigger change we all can make.
The Future of Lime Crime
Since their launch in 2008, Lime Crime has maintained a high status as a direct-to-consumer beauty brand. Today, they are highly influential and considered a digital leader in the industry, with 3.5 million followers on Instagram and 1.1 million followers on Facebook. They started off selling online from Los Angeles, and have now expanded to an internationally recognized company selling in the USA, Europe, Middle East, Russia, and Australia.
In June 2018, Lime Crime took a leap into a larger manufacturing and distribution platform when they were acquired by Tengram Capital Partners. The future of Lime Crime looks promising. As CEO, Stacy Panagakis put it – “Lime Crime is a millennial brand with a message that resonates with women everywhere – ‘it’s OK to be bold, experiment and have fun!” The fact of the matter is that after ten years, the concept and idea behind the company has remained the same. They have continued to promote women’s empowerment, self-expression, and uniqueness. Their dedication to their morals and beliefs is what makes them a reputable company in the industry.