Stay Cool and Spend Less with These Six Tips
When an air conditioning system is first installed, it should operate at its optimal efficiency and effectiveness. However, other factors can diminish even the best system’s ability to effectively cool a home. In particular, a poorly insulated home will cost far more to keep comfortable because the A/C system has to work that much harder.
As you will see, some of the best ways to slash energy costs have to do with optimizing the overall effectiveness of your system. Six especially useful ones to put to use this summer include:
- Seal Those Ducts – Assuming that your home has a forced-air HVAC system, conditioned air travels through ducts and out registers into rooms and other areas around the home. Ideally, none of the air should escape the ducts along the way. However, even strong ducts develop tiny cracks and holes over time, or their fitting points start to loosen. Either way, ducts need to be resealed occasionally to prevent the loss of conditioned air into uninhabited areas. Otherwise, you’re essentially paying more to keep uninhabited parts of your home cool.
- Block Out the Sun – Rays from the sun streaming into the home can increase indoor temperature by several degrees. This forces your air conditioning system to work even harder and longer to bring things down to a comfortable temperature. Give it some help by covering windows during the hottest and sunniest parts of the day. Solar screens are even better because they deflect around 70 percent of solar energy and keep working even when the windows are open.
- Get a Home Energy Audit – Chances are that there are plenty of areas in your home that could stand to be sealed up. Attempting to identify them yourself is an uphill battle, however. A great solution is to have a home energy audit performed on your home. Local utility companies often offer this service on a free or subsidized basis. When the audit is complete, you will receive a list of recommendations for things that you can do to make your home more energy efficient.
- Be Smart with Your Thermostat – Is your thermostat located in a logical place? Avoid placing it on exterior walls or in areas where the temperature tends to be unusually low or high–for example, on walls that receive a lot of direct sunlight. If you don’t already have one, invest in a programmable model so that you aren’t paying to keep an unoccupied home cool for hours on end per day.
- Stock Up on Air Filters – Since it’s easy to forget to replace air filters in a timely manner, buy six to 12 months’ worth and keep them on hand. During the summer, when the air conditioning is running frequently, plan on replacing the filter at least once per month. If you have pets in the home or live in an especially dusty area, you might have to switch it out more often.
- Call in the Professionals for Maintenance – Don’t wait until your A/C system experiences problems to get help. A little preventive maintenance goes an incredibly long way, and contractors like Goettl’s High Desert Mechanical offer convenience maintenance plans that make it a breeze to stay on top of your HVAC system’s routine maintenance. During your annual or biannual tune-up, technicians will clean, inspect and repair your system to ward off costly repairs and replacements in the future.
Time for a New Air Conditioner? Goettl Can Help
In central Arizona, homeowners have relied on the experts at Goettl’s High Desert Mechanical for more than three decades. The company’s history stretches back even farther than that, though, as it was originally founded in Mansfield, Ohio, in the year 1927. The company has long been a pioneer in the world of heating and cooling, and their expertise is unmatched by any local competitors.
Goettl stands apart from the competition in many ways. The contractor offers a comprehensive array of heating and cooling services, including professional equipment installations, repairs, emergency repairs and maintenance. To keep your system operating at peak efficiency, Goettl is available to seal the ducts in your home so that conditioned air isn’t lost in those uninhabited nooks and crannies.
When the time comes, Goettl is also the name to trust for replacement air conditioning systems that are sure to save you a bundle on energy costs over the years. While the initial upfront investment is large, the savings start right away thanks to major advances in efficiency. Right away, you will also notice a significant improvement in overall comfort. Still, even with a new system in place, it is important to keep the above tips in mind to ensure that it keeps operating efficiently and effectively. Revisit them often to keep your home cool and comfortable for less for years to come.